Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Segovia 874-A

  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member DudyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2016
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Segovia 874-A

    My 16 year old daughter and I are on a mission to put together my old system that I had exactly 40 years ago. We have found my Sherwood S-8910 and my Dual 1245 turntable. Finding my Segovia's has turned out to be a bigger challenge. We're determined to continue on until we do though. So if you guys wouldn't mind keeping an eye out, I'd appreciate it.

    I am mechanically challenged, so I'd prefer all original and in good condition or a state where can get in good condition. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    There is a pair of Segovias on ebay right now. Saw them listed, but didn't look any further. They show up pretty regularly there.

    GeeDeeEmm

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member DudyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2016
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    There is a pair of Segovias on ebay right now. Saw them listed, but didn't look any further. They show up pretty regularly there.

    GeeDeeEmm
    I saw those. They are local pick up only. New Jersey is a long way from Miss'ssippi!

    Can I ask a stupid question?.....On the description it said the woofers needed refoaming. Does it change the sound when they are dry rotted and cracked like they are?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Segovia 874-A


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    you shouldn't use them in the shape these Vintage Pair of Altec Model 874A Segovia Speakers | eBay are in, if that's what your asking. I would be afraid to buy these unless I was sure I could have them repaired.

    the urge to relive the past can be strong beyond reason. ask me about a 340 dart sport.
    Sonic Barbarian

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    It's hard to put a price on sentiment. But, that ebay seller sure took a shot at it.

    In that condition(as found, needing proper refurbishing including re-capping and re-foaming the woofers), 700 bucks should board the first class section of the Altec train, not "coach".

    The Segovia is a fine speaker. But, nothing material about them justifies that kind of price.

    EDIT: That said, he is inviting "best offer".
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member DudyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2016
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    you shouldn't use them in the shape these Vintage Pair of Altec Model 874A Segovia Speakers | eBay are in, if that's what your asking. I would be afraid to buy these unless I was sure I could have them repaired.

    the urge to relive the past can be strong beyond reason. ask me about a 340 dart sport.
    Thanks Phil, that's what I was thinking too. Something just didn't seem right to me. The description just didn't sell it for me. I'm being patient because I'm not qualified to work on them or even tell if something is wrong unless it is just obvious. A qualified ear could tell if a speaker was not the way they were supposed to be, where as I couldn't do that.

    There is a pair out there in great shape waiting on me to find it.

    Thanks for your reply.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    It might be worth your while to subscribe at audiokarma for access to Barter Town where you can post a "wanted" ad.

    There are multiple members there who own and have done top notch jobs refurbishing them electrically, mechanically, and cosmetically.

    It sounds like you need to cross paths with one of these fellas who has decided to move on to different speakers and is ready to let their fully restored Segovia's go.

    Altec Segovia 874A worth saving? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

    BigV's Altec 874A Segovia XO's | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

    Altec Segovia 874A refoam, general q's | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

    restoring altec "segovia"
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #8
    Junior Hostboard Member DudyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2016
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    Thanks Bowtie, I have joined over there and put in an ad. I'm just trying to cover every place I come across. Just a matter of time. I'll find it someplace. Part of the fun is trying to find it! Especially doing it with my daughter. She's had a lot of fun with this. Thanks for the post.

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    Segovia 874-A


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    I live in NJ I just replied to your PM over at AK sorry it was late. I dont get on the boards much working 50-60 hours a week..But if you buy them I will pick them up for you...Providing you pay the shipping to you and the gas and packing materials... Best offer it no more than $350 though.. IMHO like Bowtie says they arent worth more than that..To me anyway ! As they say one mans garbage is another mans treasure ! Segovias do sound nice for the entry level price... Best of Luck on your search !


    PS... I haven't seen the ebay listing so I dont know the condition...But $500 would be for a well preserved pair me thinks...

    Edit : Ok just took a peek... They look Ok Just need woofers to be refoamed.. Any foam surround speaker of this vintage will need to be refoamed by now.. Foam surrounds last 20-25 years at best... These speakers are 40+.If you can grab them for $350-$400 send the woofers to GPA for refoam you'll be in business.. I can always check them on pick up as well if the other speakers don't work then don't buy them.. Voorhees is about 35-45 minutes from me..
    Last edited by Altec Best; August 21st, 2016 at 12:02 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Hostboard Member DudyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2016
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Segovia 874-A

    Thanks Altec Best. I'm going to ask him to send me some pics of the caps, back of the tweeters and woofer to see if they are original. If they've been replaced with non original parts, I'm going to pass. Is there anything else I should ask about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.